This cornbread contains ultra-healthy Bow & Arrow Brand blue corn. It’s high in protein, energy-building, supportive to the liver, and tri-doshic (an Ayurvedic term meaning “good for all body types”). But it’s not just healthy—your whole family will love this delicious treat!
- 2 tablespoons flax meal (ground flaxseed)
- ¼ cup water
- 1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
- 1 1/3 cups nondairy milk
- 1/3 cup oil (non-virgin olive, melted coconut, or sunflower)
- 1 cup Bow & Arrow Brand blue cornmeal
- 1 cup whole wheat pastry flour
- 2/3 cup coconut sugar
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon EACH: sea salt and baking soda
- Preheat the oven to 400°F. Place a large (12-inch) iron skillet in the oven to warm it while you’re making the cornbread batter.
- Combine the flaxseed meal with the water in a small bowl and stir. Set aside for at least five minutes, or until gooey.
- In another small bowl, combine the vinegar and milk. The vinegar/milk bowl will also need to sit for five minutes.
- Combine the dry ingredients in a medium bowl. Whisk or stir well, until thoroughly combined. Set aside.Combine the flax mixture with the vinegar/milk mixture. Stir well, then whisk in the oil. Once the wet ingredients are very well combined, stir into the dry mixture. Combine well, but do not over-mix.
- Remove the skillet from the oven (using good hot pads—let’s have a happy ending to this story) and coat or spray lightly with oil. Pour the batter into the skillet and smooth out the top. Bake for 25-30 minutes, or until a knife inserted in the center comes out clean. Enjoy your warm cornbread with a little margarine.
Makes 10 servings