These gluten-free fritters are a celebration of corn—and so delicious! Even kids will gobble these up.
- 1 cup corn kernels (fresh or frozen)
- 1 cup hominy
- ½ cup plus 2 tablespoons almond milk, unsweetened and plain
- ½ cup Bow & Arrow Brand yellow cornmeal
- 1/3 cup brown rice flour
- 2 tablespoons flaxmeal (ground flaxseed)
- 3 tablespoons finely chopped fresh parsley
- 2 teaspoons onion granules (granulated onion, often labeled as onion powder)
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon baking powder
- 3 large cloves garlic, minced or pressed
- Freshly ground black pepper, to taste
For pan-frying: All-purpose oil (sunflower, safflower, or non-virgin olive)
- In a medium bowl, combine the corn kernels, hominy, milk, cornmeal, flour, and flaxmeal. Stir well to combine.
- Add in the remaining ingredients (all but the oil). Stir until thoroughly combined. Allow to rest for at least five minutes.
- In a large skillet set to medium-high heat, place a thin layer of the oil.
- Form the corn mixture into small patties, about three inches around and ¼-inch thick. Place the patties onto the hot oil in the pan. You will most likely need to cook them in two batches, as you don’t want to overcrowd the pan. (Filling the pan about half-full is a good rule of thumb.)
- Once the undersides are golden-browned (after about three minutes), flip over. Cook until the other side is also golden-browned. Repeat with the remaining mix, adding more oil to the pan if needed. Serve hot.
Makes about 8 patties (serves 2-4)