Both kids and adults will love this tangy side dish!
- 1 cup Bow & Arrow Brand yellow cornmeal
- 3 cups water
- 2 tablespoons EACH: nondairy margarine and fresh lemon juice
- 2 teaspoons grated lemon zest (zest of two medium lemons)
- 2 teaspoons fresh thyme leaf, chopped
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 4 large cloves garlic, minced or pressed
- Freshly ground black pepper to taste
- In a medium pot, whisk the cornmeal with the water over high heat.
- As soon as the mixture begins to bubble, reduce heat to the lowest possible setting. Continue to whisk often over low heat until the mixture is very thick. This will take about 20 minutes.
- Stir in the margarine until it’s melted. Remove from heat and stir in the remaining ingredients.
- Press into a lasagna-style pan so that the mixture is about ½-inch thick. Cover and chill for several hours in the refrigerator.
- Once very firm, cut into squares and pan-fry in a shallow layer of oil for five minutes on each side (until lightly browned on each side). Serve hot.