This gluten-free entrée is easy to put together, but made special with a polenta “crust” on top. Delicious!
- Medium zucchini (1 ½ cups diced zucchini)
- ½ cup diced onion (white or yellow)
- 1 tablespoon all-purpose oil (such as sunflower, olive, non-virgin coconut)
- One 15 oz. can pinto beans, drained
- One 14.5 oz. can diced tomatoes, unsalted with juice (not drained)
- 1 cup loosely packed kale, destemmed and finely chopped
- 4 large cloves garlic, minced or pressed
- 2 tablespoons brown rice flour
- 2 teaspoons dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon fresh lemon juice
- ¾ teaspoon salt
- 1 cup Bow & Arrow Brand yellow cornmeal
- 3 cups water
- 1 teaspoon salt
- In a large skillet, place the zucchini, onion, and oil over medium-high heat. Stir-fry for five minutes, or until the vegetables are lightly browned.
- Add the remaining filling ingredients to the zucchini onion mixture. Reduce heat to medium and stir-fry for ten minutes, or until thickened and no liquid remains. Remove from heat and place the mixture in a round pie pan, smoothing out the top. Set aside.
- To make the crust: Place the cornmeal, water, and one teaspoon salt in a medium pot over high heat. Whisk as you bring to a boil. Once the mixture boils, reduce heat to very low. Continue to whisk often over low heat until the mixture is very thick, about ten minutes. Remove from heat and set aside for ten minutes.
- Preheat your oven to 400 F.
- Stir the cornmeal again (it should be very thick and hard to whisk). Gently spread it evenly onto the filling in the pie pan to form a top “crust” (using your hands or a spoon). Smooth out the cornmeal crust and bake for about 20 minutes, or until the top is lightly browned. Allow to cool for five minutes, then cut and serve.