This is a healthy take on fried mushrooms – made with whole grains, Indian cornmeal, and baked instead of fried!
- 8 oz. package button mushrooms
- ¼ cup flaxmeal (ground flaxseeds)
- 1/3 cup almond milk, plain and unsweetened
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/3 cup Bow & Arrow Brand Indian cornmeal
- 1 teaspoon EACH: dried basil, dried oregano, and garlic granules
- ½ teaspoon salt
- Olive oil spray
For dipping: Marinara or pizza sauce
- Preheat your oven to 400 F. Wash the mushrooms well and remove the stems. Place in a medium-large bowl.
- Add the flaxmeal, almond milk, and oil to the mushrooms and gently toss with a rubber spatula. Set aside.
- In a medium-large bowl, place the cornmeal, basil, oregano, garlic, and salt. Stir well to combine. Lightly oil a large baking pan and set it aside.
- Stir the mushrooms again, and then dip each into the cornmeal coating, tossing gently to coat all sides. Place on the baking pan. Do this with each mushroom until all are evenly coated and on the pan (don’t allow them to touch). Spray them well with the oil and bake for 15 minutes.
- Remove from the oven, gently flip each mushroom over, and spray well with the oil again. Bake for another 10-15 minutes, or until nicely browned and crisp.
- Meanwhile, heat your dipping sauce and keep it warm. Serve the mushrooms with the dipping sauce.