This savory dish makes for a healthy, delicious breakfast or dinner.
- ¾ cup Bow & Arrow Brand white cornmeal
- 3 cups water
- 3 tablespoons nondairy margarine
- ¾ teaspoon sea salt
- To taste: freshly ground black pepper
- Two 15 oz. cans pinto beans, drained (3 cups cooked beans)
- ½ cup tomato sauce
- ¼ cup nutritional yeast powder
- 4 large cloves garlic, minced or pressed
- 1 teaspoon EACH: dried oregano and ground cumin
- ½ teaspoon sea salt
- For the Grits:In a medium-large pot, place the cornmeal and water. Set to medium-high heat and bring to a boil, stirring with a wire whisk. Reduce heat to low and continue to whisk often until thick. This should take 10-20 minutes. Remove from heat and whisk in the margarine, salt, and pepper until well combined.
- While the Grits are cooking, make the Pintos: Place all of the “Pintos” ingredients in a pot over medium heat, stirring well. Once the mixture begins to bubble, reduce heat to low. Simmer for 5-10 minutes, stirring often, until the beans are hot and the sauce has thickened.
- To serve: Top the grits with the pintos and serve hot or warm.