- ¾ cup Bow & Arrow Brand yellow cornmeal
- 3 cups water
- 3 tablespoons nutritional yeast
- 2 tablespoons nondairy margarine
- ¾ teaspoon sea salt
- 3 medium-large cloves garlic, minced or pressed
Rich Tomato Sauce:
- 15 oz. can tomato sauce (plain)
- 15 oz. can diced tomatoes with onion and garlic
- 3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- ¼ cup white cooking wine or white wine
- 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
- 2 tablespoons organic sugar
- 1 teaspoon each: dried rosemary leaf, sea salt, and nutritional yeast powder
- 1½ teaspoons each: dried basil and dried thyme
- 2 teaspoons each: dried oregano and dried onion granules
- 6-8 medium cloves garlic, pressed or minced
- ¼ teaspoon red pepper flakes
Optional, for serving:
¼ cup fresh basil, chopped
- Make the polenta:In a medium-large pot, place the cornmeal and water. Set to medium-high heat and bring to a boil, stirring with a wire whisk. Reduce heat to low and continue to whisk often until thick. This should take 10-20 minutes.
- Remove from heat and whisk in the nutritional yeast, margarine, salt, and garlic until well combined. Press into a large lasagna-style pan (9.5 x 13.5 inches in size or larger) so that the polenta is about ½-inch thick. Chill in the fridge for several hours or overnight, until very firm.
- Make the sauce:Place all of the sauce ingredients in a medium saucepan and bring to a boil, stirring, over high heat. Reduce the heat to low and simmer uncovered, stirring occasionally, for about 30 minutes.
- While your sauce is cooking, finish the polenta: Remove the polenta from the fridge and cut it into 9-inch squares or circles. Grill or pan-fry (oiling the surface as needed) until nicely charred on both sides. Serve the grilled polenta slices over the sauce, topped with fresh basil if desired.