Homemade tortillas are actually quite easy to make, healthy, and very economical. You can use these whole grain tortillas with your favorite Mexican dishes, serve them hot with a little margarine, or make them into tortilla crisps.
- 1 cup whole wheat pastry flour
- ¼ cup Bow & Arrow Brand yellow cornmeal
- 2 tablespoons flaxmeal (ground flaxseeds)
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ¼ cup plus 1 tablespoon water
- 2 tablespoons oil (sunflower, coconut, or olive)
- In a medium bowl, place the flour, cornmeal, flaxmeal, and salt. Whisk until thoroughly combined.
- Add the water and oil to the dry mixture and stir well.
- Knead for about 20 seconds and form into a large ball. Divide into eight even sections and form each into balls. Allow to rest for at least ten minutes.
- Roll out one of the balls (with a rolling pin) on a lightly floured surface until it’s at least six inches in diameter.
- Heat a skillet to medium-high heat. Place the tortilla on the hot pan (unoiled) for about two minutes on each side (until lightly browned and bubbly on both sides), then remove to a plate.
- Repeat steps four and five until your tortillas are all made up. Store leftover tortillas in an airtight container or bag, refrigerated or frozen.
Makes about 8 medium sized tortillas